Saturday, January 15, 2011

What does the future hold for me? What is my purpose in life? More specifically, what do I want to pursue in my career life? These are the questions that keep lingering in my mind, leaving me anxious with every decision that I make now. Is my future really laid out for me already? Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about pursuing a career in actuarial studies. But is that really my calling? Or is it just other people’s desire that has been infiltrated in my mind due time? I’ve been writing essays for scholarships, and each one requires me to describe my passion that’s driven me to my career choice. The question is, what is my career choice? Since I have none, I just wrote every essay talking about how I aspire to be an actuarist. After writing so many essays and constantly hearing people’s comments like “You should be an actuarist. Your maths is amazing.” I start subconsciously telling myself that I want to be an actuarist too. Do I really? People say I should pursue actuarial studies because I’m good in add mathematics. Am I really? Truth is, I never thought I was really as good as what I appear to be. And add mathematics is just a very small part of mathematics as a whole. It can really be compared to just another cell in our body! So, what makes me think that I will succeed as an actuarist, or even graduate as one, just because I’m good in add maths?

Confucius once said, “If you do what you like for a living, you’ll never work a day in your life”. When I read that quote, I said to myself “Wow, I want to feel like that one day”. If so, why am I flooded in a pool or confusion now? I just don’t want to make the wrong decision this time. This is probably the most important decision in my life! Right after choosing the right guy to marry.
I wanna do this right. I wanna know for sure, what I wanna pursue and not just let other people talk me into it.

Make. A. Choice!

No comments: